31 December 2017
Building Tasmania’s Future – 2017 Deliverables, Third Quarter Update
The Liberal Government is delivering on our plan and today we are releasing the third quarter update of our progress which builds on the positive results achieved through almost four years in office
Deliverables 2017 is a snapshot of the Government’s Work Plan for the year, including over 220 initiatives to create jobs and economic growth, build health and education and support Tasmanians in need.
Under a majority Hodgman Liberal Government our economy is strong, and business confidence is high with 10,000 more Tasmanians now in work than at the last State election.
We’ve also balanced the budget which means we have been able to invest more into health, education and other essential services.
The Third Quarter Update provides a progress report on 43 initiatives delivered in full or well underway, including –
- The new 10-storey K block building is rising out of the ground as part of the Royal Hobart Hospital Redevelopment and when complete will increase capacity at the site by 250 beds;
- Releasing the tender for the redevelopment of Launceston General Hospital new Children’s Ward which will include specialist facilities for child and adolescents with mental health issues.
- Completion of the $15.3 million new Emergency Services Computer Aided Dispatch (ESCAD) communications system for all emergency services agencies;
- The awarding of a contract to commence construction of safety upgrades on the Mangalore to Bagdad; Stage 2 project, as part of $500 million Midland Highway 10-year Action Plan;
- Completion of the $12 million Visitor Centre redevelopment at the Port Arthur Historic Site;
- The wukalina walk through Mt William National Park has opened for bookings;
- $20 million in assistance to put downward pressure on electricity prices for unregulated business customers; and
- The Government has foregone revenue to ensure retail prices for small customers grew by no more than 2%, despite price rises of 10-20% in other States
Under our plan, initiatives for the next quarter include;
- Commencing construction of the Kingston Health Centre;
- Completing the rebuilding of Tasmania’s police force numbers to 1233 full-time equivalent, after 100 police were axed by the previous Labor-Green Government;
- Undertaking the 3rd floor slab concrete pour at the Royal Hobart Hospital redevelopment;
- Commencing the roll-out of Round 4 schools extending to Years 11 and 12;
- Officially opening the new Hobart Women’s Shelter as part of the Family Violence Action Plan;
- Completing and opening the Devonport Youth Accommodation facility, a key part of Tasmania’s Affordable Housing Action Plan;
- Extending the National Disability Insurance Scheme to more participants, with adults aged 29 to 34 eligible from 1 January 2018;
- Commencing a new State-wide Advice and Referral Service, as part of the Strong Families, Safe Kids; implementation plan of child protection redesign; and
Deliverables 2017 is available here: http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/321084/Deliverables_2017.pdf
The Third Quarter Update is available here: http://www.premier.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/361902/Deliverables_2017_-_Third_Quarter_Update.pdf
More Media Releases from Will Hodgman
More Media Releases from the Premier