Blanket listing of Tarkine opposed Fri 7 September 2012 Lara Giddings Premier Download hi-res version Mining can co-exist with environmental values in the Tarkine region, the Premier, Lara Giddings, told an Australian Workers Union Rally today. Ms Giddings said the State Government would not support a blanket National Heritage listing of the Tarkine which would sacrifice much-needed jobs and investment in Tasmania. "There is absolutely no reason why mining cannot co-exist with other activities and values of the Tarkine as it has done for generations," Ms Giddings said. "This is about achieving a balance between creating jobs and economic growth and protecting our environment. "Earlier this week I visited a small manufacturing on the North West coast and I heard stories about young families concerned about the economy and jobs. "They love Tasmania's great wilderness but this can't be enjoyed by the local community unless they have real jobs. Tasmania cannot just be a playground for wealthy mainlanders, it should be enjoyed by all of us."Ms Giddings said it was important to understand the extremely small footprint of mining in the Tarkine. "Current mining leases occupy approximately 0.6 per cent of the Tarkine region while total mining leases presently under application amount to approximately 0.4 per cent of the area. "In total we are talking about just 1 per cent of the region. "All mining operations are already subject to stringent environmental laws and some of the world's toughest State and Federal approval processes. Ms Giddings said mining made an extremely important contribution to the Tasmanian economy. "This week we have seen mixed data which confirms Tasmania has been in the slow lane of the two speed economy. "There are signs of recovery but we need growth in sectors such as mining in order to create jobs and investment." Ms Giddings said ABS data released today revealed a strong 8.3 per cent increase in international exports in July, to $286 million, driven by demand in China, India and Taiwan. "In the year to July we have recorded $3.2 billion in International exports, an increase of 2.1 per cent. "Mining represents more than half of our international exports and mineral royalty revenue for this financial year exceeded $50 million for the first time on the back of increased sales. "We also continue to see record spending in mineral exploration in Tasmania. "Tasmania is on track this year to exceed the current record of $37.3 million set just last year. "We cannot afford to risk sustainable mining activity which will underpin Tasmania's economic recovery."