14 June 2018
Minister for Veterans’ Affairs
Supporting our Veterans
Supporting Tasmania’s veterans and ex-service personnel is a major priority of the Hodgman Liberal Government.
Today, Tasmania has more than 10,500 veterans and ex-serving personnel. Their service and sacrifice deserves to be acknowledged.
In the 2018-19 Budget, the Government is committing a record $750,000 package to support veterans, ex-service personnel and their families.
This package includes:
- Providing peak body status to the RSL (Tasmania Branch) which will see an increase in core annual funding to $110,000 to provide assistance and advocacy, with indexation of 2.25 per cent to be applied from 2019-2020;
- Provision of $50,000 per year for three years to RSL (Tasmania Branch) to undertake projects that improve service delivery to ex-serving men and women in Tasmania;
- Provision of $50,000 to RSL (Tasmania Branch) to deliver events celebrating the 2018 Armistice centenary, which also marks the end of the Centenary of ANZAC;
- Establishing the Teddy Sheean Grants Program of $100, 000 a year for 3 years for repairs and maintenance to RSLs and other veterans’ organisations as well as war memorial construction and repairs;
- Establishing a $225,000 partnership with the Parks and Wildlife Service to enable participation in an active recreation and adventure program for veterans in Tasmania’s National Parks.
The Hodgman Liberal Government remains a proud supporter of Tasmania’s servicemen and women, their families and the RSL branches of Tasmania.