14 June 2018
WILL HODGMAN, Premier
PETER GUTWEIN, Treasurer
Our Plan to Build Your Future – North and North-East
The 2018-19 State Budget delivers on our commitments for the North and North East as part of our Plan to Build Your Future.
These initiatives are targeted to further strengthen the local economy and deliver better services, as well as create more jobs.
Specific budget measures for the North and North-East total more than $249 million, including:
- Beginning the $87.3 million redevelopment of the Launceston General Hospital – $37.2 million in this budget.
- Capital and recurrent funding of $17.8 million for Ward 4K at the LGH.
- Commencing the $95 million program, with the first tranche of $31.4 million towards the combined system and catchment works for the Tamar River
- Delivers $53 million towards the Launceston and Tamar Valley Traffic Vision including:
- West Tamar Highway Traffic Solution;
- Mowbray Interconnector;
- Charles St bridge and Invermay road network;
- Planning for a new Tamar Bridge crossing;
- Batman Highway shoulder widening; and
- The Launceston Couplet.
- More than $7 million to improve State Roads in the North and North East, including:
- Road upgrades between Tomahawk and Gladstone;
- Prossers Forrest Road; and
- Improved Hadspen access.
- Nearly $23 million in improvements to roads that are critical to Tasmania’s visitor economy, including:
- the Great Eastern Drive, and
- Launceston Airport road access.
- Progressing the $20 million Legana Primary School development.
- New East Tamar Early Learning Hub.
- Beginning works for the new $270 million Northern prison – the largest infrastructure investment ever in the State’s North – $45 million.
- New police station for Longford – $5 million.
- 40 additional nursing graduates for Northern Tasmania.
- More paramedics in Northern Tasmania – $6.4 million.
- Upgraded health professional accommodation on Flinders Island – $500,000.
- Scottsdale Regional Swimming pool - $3 million
- Community Transport Services Tasmania pilot programme on Flinders Island – $60,000.
- $2 million contribution to a major upgrade of the Northern Tasmania Tennis Centre.
- Support the move of 100 DPIPWE staff to Northern Tasmania – $2.45 million.
- Reimagining the ‘Gorge’ - $875,000
The State Budget charts the path the majority Hodgman Liberal Government will take make the North and North East an even better place to live, work and build your future.