14 June 2018
Delivering a stronger economy and more jobs
Tasmania is a much stronger, prouder and more confident place as a result of the hard work done by the Hodgman Liberal Government over the past four years to improve our State’s economic position.
Our economy is one of the strongest in the nation and Tasmanian businesses are the most confident in the country.
Tasmania has come a long way over the past four years with more than 11,000 new jobs created, with our unemployment rate has dropping to 6 per cent – a 1.5 per cent improvement since the 2014 election.
In this Budget we are supporting initiatives to encourage investment and take job creation to the next level.
Our Plan for a Stronger Economy and More Jobs includes;
- A record investment of $2.6 billion in job creating infrastructure projects including new schools, hospital redevelopments and road upgrades.
- Modest Budget surpluses this year and every year of the Forward Estimates.
- Cutting Payroll Tax, providing a saving of up to $15,750 to encourage businesses to create around 650 more jobs.
- Help for businesses to relocate to regional Tasmania with a payroll tax holiday for up to three years.
- Support for 4500 additional apprentices and trainees by extending targeted small business grants and the Payroll Tax Rebate Scheme to June 2021.
- Establishing TasTAFE Centres of Excellence in agriculture, trades and water, and tourism and hospitality to ensure young Tasmanians are equipped with the skills for the jobs of tomorrow.
- Implementing the next phase of our comprehensive Sustainable Agri-Food Plan, with major investments in agriculture, irrigation, energy on farms and the seafood sector.
- Extending the energy rebate scheme for unregulated commercial and industrial customers by 12 months, providing $10 million in relief for medium to large employers.
Today, Tasmania is open for business with a prospering economy, growing population and an even brighter outlook.
Budget discipline has allowed us to invest more in supporting essential services, job creating infrastructure and has also allowed us to respond rapidly to unexpected circumstances like floods and bushfires.
We will never take the Labor/Green approach of spending like there’s no tomorrow. We know Tasmania’s best days are ahead of us – but only if we plan responsibly for the future.
The 2018-19 Budget charts the path the Hodgman Liberal Government will take to deliver on our Plan and make Tasmania an even better place to live, work and build your future.